The current building that houses Second Presbyterian Church was originally constructed in 1874 by famed New York architect, James Renwick Jr. In 1901 a fire destroyed the interior of the sanctuary. A major reconstruction maintaining most of the exterior walls but dramatically altering the interior was led by Howard Van Doren Shaw, then a young member of the congregation but later a famed and prolific architect best known for his many North Shore country estates.
During this inaugural tour at Second Presbyterian, guests will be given a behind the scenes look at areas of the church not typically visited on regular tours. The tour will focus on original architectural features from the 1874 construction and evidence of changes during Shaw’s reconstruction.